- Partner of the Pangea Consortium
- Specialist in Geoheritage
- Univ-Minho website
A FEW FIGURES
12 Schools and Institutes
19077 total students
2443 International Students
1450 Phd students
619 administrative staff
75 researchers who are Phd holders
106 assistant researchers
Among the 200 best universities in the world, with less than 50 years of existence, according to the THE 2018
24 centres and institutes assessed internationally with excellent or very good ratings
30 research units
650 research projects
3 poles/complexes multifunctional
1 technology and science park
UNIVERSITY OF MINHO
Founded in 1973, the University of Minho welcomed its first students in the academic year of 1975/76. At present, the University is renowned for its competence and quality of teaching staff, excellence in scientific research, wide range of undergraduate and graduate courses offered and for its high level of interaction with other institutions.
For these reasons, UMinho has a central role in the region and is an important reference for the country and a recognised partner in the European and global scene. Located in the north of Portugal, the University has a campus in Braga and two others in Guimarães, Azurém Campus and Couros Campus.
The courses and research projects have a strong international reputation. UMinho is a targeted research university, committed to the value chain of knowledge, in other words: Research, Development and Innovation. It also points to the socio-economic environment, with many successful partnerships in research, cultural and socio- economic development projects.
RESEARCH AND INNOVATION
The University of Minho has 32 Research Units, of which 11 have been classified by the most recent Fundação para a Ciência e tecnologia (FCT) assessment, with international assessment panels, as Exceptional (1) or Excellent (10). Over 40% of UMinho’s researchers work in these centres. In addition to this, the university also has 11 Research Units classified as Very Good. This assessment means that over 60% of UMinho’s researchers work in Research Units classified as Very Good, Excellent or Exceptional, within diverse fields such as Exact Sciences, Natural Sciences, Engineering and Technology Sciences, Social Sciences and Arts and Humanities.
The university also participates in 4 Associated Laboratories. One of them is entirely based in the University of Minho:
- ICVS/3Bs – exclusively made up of R&D Units from the University of Minho: Life and Health Sciences Research Institute (ICVS), from the School of Health and Sciences (ECS) and the Biomaterials, Biodegradables and Biomimetics Research Group (3B’s), from I3Bs;
- I3N (Institute of Nanostructures, Nanomodelling and Nanofabrication), from the IPC (Institute for Polymers and Composites), from the School of Engineering, in partnership with UNL and UAveiro;
- LIP (Experimental High Energy Physics and Associated Instrumentation Laboratory), which develops activities in cooperation with CERN, through LIP – MINHO, from the School of Sciences;
- INESC-TEC, through the CI HASLab (High Assurance Software Laboratory) from the School of Engineering.
A YOUNG SCHOOL OF SCIENCES
The School of Sciences of the University of Minho was created in 1975, and is a teaching and research reference in the different areas of Exact and Natural Sciences. The combination of consolidated knowledge and an innovative and bold spirit enables the School of Sciences to fully accomplish its mission of developing, teaching and disseminating science. Aware of the challenges of knowledge, the School keeps fundamental research concomitant with the development of applications in the most diverse areas such as the nanoscience, biochemistry, statistics and the environment.